Friday 9 September 2011

A Tribute to Tarak Balaji

I still remember my first day when I stepped into Delphi Automotive Systems.
It was around 1st week of May in 2006. My engineering wasnt complete, final sem was going on.
Delphi had set up a meeting with all campus recruits. It was so exciting just to get a peep into the job industry. We had intro sessions, overview of the company, speed dating sessions and so on , typical of software company. At the end of the day , we were handed our offer letters. It was handed by Tarak Balaji. That was my first meet up with him.

Subsequently I joined Delphi in July and started my career.
In 2008, Tarak Balaji took in charge as Director of Technical Center India. That was a time of recession. So Delphi in general and TCI in particular went through lot of changes. Tarak was a very instrumental leader. He had led the product development of low cost electronics clusters and anti theft devices for TATA Nano in addition to many automotive electronics product development for global OEMs and much more.
His growth from a Quality engineer to Director is phenomenon in such a short time.

Some of his achievements were:

Setting up the entertainment & telematics group in India Technical center and manged flawless execution of more than 150 global automotive production programs.

 Led many low cost electronics product development initiatives like Engine Management electronics controller, Audio & Navigation systems, Immobilizer & Security solution for 2 Wheeler & 4 Wheeler, etc., for the Indian market resulting in significant revenue bookings.

Due to project changes and my personal interests, I had decided to leave delphi in Jan 2010 and move on further.On my last day At Delphi, He had personally wished me Best of luck !!! .

A unique thing which happened in Aug 2010 was calling for ex-employees meet.
I was really excited to meet all my old friends and this meet was a really special one as it regarded ex-employees contribution too how ever small or big it was..A true Delphi Re-Union.

"A considerable thought in one's absence will be more special than  hundered words in his presence".

Here's a pic of our meet up:
We were gifted a watch as a token of momento.

That was the last time, I met him. Then I heard the news of cancer and was hoping for his recovery.
but Alas he is no more !!! :(

TCI has seen many engineers at different levels walking in and out over the past 10 years .Many successful prgrams are launched and some lessons to be learnt like in every other industry. With all its highs and lows , It is needless to say that the strongest pillar which helped in this journey are some special people like Tarak. The  growth would NOT have been possible without his contribution.

May God give his family members all the strength to overcome his absence and move on in life.

One of my favourite pics, which brings back good memories of my Delphi Years ..



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Agree with every word written in this post. He was a visionary, who could see, think and act beyond everybody's thought. Though I was unfortunate to spend only few months with him. I have learnt a lot from. An enigmatic,charming, natural and people caring leader, very few in this world would be gifted like Tarak. RIP

Anonymous said...

yeah very true... but no one can be as beautiful and cute as HR shailaja ... she just rocks....